For this month’s Bread Bakers we has to make Griddle Bread By Anshie.
In India most of our breads are flatbreads and made in the griddle. The bread I choose for the theme was Lachha Paratha.
One of my UG classmate Anisha used to say they make paratha with wheat flour . I wonder how they make paratha with wheat flour. I had only paratha made of APF. My mom makes Parotta with APF for Non-veg Curry.
I came to know from the web that the wheat paratha is known in North India as Lachha Paratha. It is also known as Lachedar Paratha or Paratwala Paratha . In Punjabi , an Indian Language Parat means layer . This layered paratha will be delicious with any vegetarian or Non vegetarian curry.
I used whole wheat flour which we make on our own , you can use store bought wheat flour or all purpose flour. The half of wheat flour can be replaced with APF.
2 cup whole wheat flour
+ for rolling and sprinkling
2 tbs ghee / oil
1 cup warm water
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp baking soda
Ghee / Oil for brushing
In a bowl , combine the whole wheat flour , 2 tbs ghee , sugar , baking soda and 1 tsp salt and mix well.
Add in 1 cup of warm water in parts and knead the dough into soft and pliable.
Let the dough rest for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Knead the dough again for 5 minutes.
Divide the dough into 6 equal parts.
Roll each dough part into 200 mm or as thin as possible using little wheat flour as dusting.
Spread a tsp of ghee all over the rolled dough and sprinkle a little wheat flour evenly throughout the rolled paratha.
Fold the floured paratha from one end to other to make pleats , we used to make fan on papers during our school days in the same pattern.
Take the pleated paratha and roll in to a circle. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Just before cooking , roll each pleated paratha gently with flour or oil.
Cook the parathas on a heated Tawa / griddle , apply a spoon of ghee on each paratha.
Cook on medium flame with turning in between till the golden brown spots appear on the paratha.
Take the paratha and place on the plate.
In the same way cook the remaining parathas too.
Keep your both hands on the sides of each paratha and press towards the center from sides , this makes the layers more visible. In the Restaurants , the Parotta makers usually does this.
Makes 6 Parathas.
Serve the lachha paratha with your favorite spicy curry.
We had it with Mixed vegetable curry.
Addition of sugar gives a nice flavor and color to the paratha.
The baking soda gives visible flaky layers to paratha.
A egg can be added while kneading the dough. If using egg reduce the water to half.
Apply ghee / oil generously to make the flaky paratha.
Hot milk can be used instead of water for kneading dough.
- Amaranth (Rajgira) Paratha from Herbivore Cucina
- Cheese and Potato Gözleme from Cook's Hideout
- Corn Pancakes from Magnolia Days
- Cornmeal Griddle Cakes from Noshing With The Nolands
- English Muffins from La cocina de Aisha
- Fruity Hemp Seed Pancakes from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Griddle Scones from Hostess At Heart
- Homemade Corn Tortillas from Kylee Cooks
- Lachha Paratha - Indian Layered Flatbread from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Masala Poli - Spicy Potato Masala Stuffed Poli from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Masala Roti from Sneha's Recipe
- Paneer Kulchas - Griddle Fried Cottage Cheese Flatbread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Paruppu Poorana Poli from Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Peanut Butter and Apple Griddle Cakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Phool Makhana Parathas (Puffed Lotus Seeds Parathas) from Seduce Your Tastebuds
- Saffron Unleavened Bread from Kidsandchic
- Satpadi - Spiced Griddle Bread from Spiceroots
- Scallion Pancakes from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Sourdough English Muffins from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Spicy Loli - Breakfast Flatbread from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach and Feta Gözleme from Spill the Spices
- Stacked Apple Arepas from The Schizo Chef
- Staffordshire Oatcakes with a Bacon & Cheese Filling from Ruchik Randhap
- Stove-Top Muffins (Diphaphata) from Wholistic Woman
- Swedish Polar Bread from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Vitumbua (Coconut Rice Pancake Balls) from Mayuri's Jikoni
- Welsh Cakes from Passion Kneaded
- Yeast Raised Chocolate Chocolate Chip Pancakes from Pastry Chef Online
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.